Wednesday 1 May 2013

Perching Stools

When I was an inpatient in "the Min" (RNHRD in Bath) I was assessed by an Occupational Therapist who suggested a perching stool for activities like cooking, ironing etc. I find standing for long periods to do heavy chores difficult, so this adaptation suits me very well.

Wiltshire adult social services sorted out the stool for me (I got a bit of a shock when they first phoned, as I had no idea why I was being called by social services!) I was looked after by a lovely lady who obviously chain-smoked about 40-a-day judging by her hoarse, throaty voice. You don't have to be trained as an SLT to notice these things, but it helps... :-)

Anyway, the stool arrived, and my first reaction was...BROWN?! Seriously? You've already got the issue of the ambiguous terminology ("stool" always raises a few silent titters in my mind, but then maybe I'm just childish). But to have a stool that colour would test the humour of even the most staid of individuals.

On a more serious note, there are aesthetic considerations; my mum had made about 6 comments within the first hour about how ugly it was (I agreed with her) and I knew if I didn't brighten it up it would be consigned to the loft along with my ex-boyfriend's crutches and the bleached whalebones (long story).

So, here's my before and after...using curtain material, elastic and my old-fashioned Singer sewing machine.
 
 
BEFORE...

AFTER

Much brighter and now I actually might use it for its intended purpose!









 


1 comment:

  1. Stool Ha!
    This blog looks like a great idea
    Looking forward to seeing you later in the month
    lots of love
    Ben

    ReplyDelete